Given that I’m going to be teaching at a very small rural school starting in August, I thought I would post an excerpt from a guest post (although you should read the whole thing) over at So You Want to Teach?:
To summarize, I love rural schools because…
- They’re small and you get to know the students and their families.
- You see students outside the school context.
- You get to teach a wide selection of courses.
- The culture is that education is opportunity.
- There is lots of room out here to breathe!
- Classroom management is easier.
- Students and their parents (mostly) recognize the value of hard work.
- I’m quite conservative, so I’m comfortable in this conservative culture.
- I have quite a lot of freedom to teach as I see fit.
- My students are ready and willing to be pushed to their potential.
There are plenty of things on that list that I’m looking forward to, I can assure you.